Candidate

One of my HR friends, who had been in the industry for some 20 years, is quitting. 
I asked him the reason and he confessed that after playing the role of a judge for so long, three resumes have made him to do some thinking. 
Now thinking is difficult, judgement is easy.


After the judiciary it’s the human resource management that plays judge by assessing people’s bios and placing them with suitable jobs.
He shared the three resumes with me and asked, as a writer who would be an ideal character sketch for my story.

I already had started to chicken out after a haranguing dream where I had conversation with Dryden, Byron  and Alexander Pope, who had left me drained and insomniac. I was the last person to fall for this trick but his sincere insistence made me read through...

CV1: The guy is 25 year old male, with matriculate certificate; had done odd jobs from childhood; working in tea stalls, flipping burger patties, wiping car windows, life was his teacher.
His ambition is to become a Creative Director in one of the posh advertising companies. Apart from the above skill sets he sketches.

My friend asked so what do you think?
I said its an achievable ambition; talent wins, off-course after intelligent people have passed their judgement about his talent and greatness.

HR friend gave a dismissive shrug and passed the second CV.
A 30 year old male, Graduate with Ist class, MBA from a reputed Institute, roughly 4 years experience as a junior executive in a bank; applying for a managerial role. Ambition: To be Vice President of some multinational bank someday.

I sighed, very ordinary, my friend looked at me crestfallen, as how on earth I have survived so far with such poor judgement.
I had to explain, I said the guy has already been institutionalised, his thinking is marred and his ambitions are so focused, how can I even bring conflict in my character sketch?

When I read the third CV, I exclaimed now here is my Chandragupta.


 The dude is 27; night mixes drinks in a club, during day he is a tour guide.
He is not applying for job, but wants his CV done professionally so that he can get his bio on social media sites; hunt down investors to invest for his start up. 
Ambition: Is to be an impeccable leader.

HR friend almost at his tether’s end incredulously asks why Chandragupta?!
It was my chance to give him a pitiful look, Chandragupta Maurya, no less than a super hero who lived a story from rags to riches in 4th century BC.

So how is our guy Chandragupta?

Off course, unlike Chandragupta who got a Godfather at a very early age called Chankya- the philosopher, economist, professor of Political science, author of Arthashastra; under whose tutelage he uproots the corrupt Nanda dynasty, brings order to a chaotic Patliputra and for the very first time in Asia, federated Bharat-varsha gets formed. 
Our guy is more colourful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thirst or Trishna

Culture Story- Tet Sum Vay

The Toothy Tale